YouTube is usually the first platform you think of when you want to stream videos.
Over a span of 17 years, the platform has been updated several times to meet the growing demands of the content industry and the need to help creators make more money.
This resulted in the YouTube Partner Program in 2007.
Surprisingly, not that many creators take advantage of this. This might be because they are uninformed or they do not think it is worth their time.
Whatever your reason is, this article will help you see the YouTube Partner Program in a new light. In this article, we’ll tell you what the YouTube Partner Program is, why it is so important, and how to become a member.
What is the YouTube Partner Program?
The YouTube Partner Program is a revenue-sharing program that gives content creators unlimited access to YouTube resources, as well as access to YouTube channel monetisation features. This program was designed to help creators monetise their accounts by embedding ads in their videos.
So, when you join this monetization program, instead of relying solely on the earnings you’ll get from the number of views on your videos, you’ll also generate extra income by embedding ads in your videos.
Aside from ads, there are an array of other monetization features you can use to earn more money on the side. We will discuss them a bit further on.
There is no limit to how much you can earn from this program, but there is also no specific amount you can expect to earn. This is because your revenue largely depends on the amount of time your audience spends viewing your ads.
So, if you want to earn more money via ads, your audience needs to watch them. This is where it gets challenging.
Most viewers are always in a hurry to skip any ads that pop up, especially at the beginning of your videos. To avoid this, you must ensure that the ads you display are relevant to your audience.
This will keep them engaged, entertained, and minimise the chances of them skipping through to your video. And more importantly, you will increase your revenue.
The YouTube community is based on trust and credibility. It is only logical that a reputable company like YouTube wants to partner with creators that demonstrate these attributes.
So, there are some eligibility requirements you must meet before joining the YouTube Partner Program. You are eligible for this partnership if:
- You have at least 1,000 subscribers on your channel.
- You have at least 4,000 watch hours in the past 12 months.
- You reside in a country where the YouTube Partner Program is operational.
- You agree to all the policies.
- Your channel does not have an active strike for violating community guidelines.
If you don’t already have 1,000 subscribers, the figures might be a little intimidating, especially if you’re just starting out. However, if you put the time and effort in, you’ll be eligible before you know it.
Before learning the process of applying for the YouTube Partner Program, first consider three amazing benefits you can get from this free membership.
- Access to the YouTube Creator Support Team: Once you become a member of the YouTube Partner Program, you’ll have full access to this support. The support team can help you troubleshoot any issues with your account. You can get in touch with them via live chat.
- Access to the Copyright Match Tool: This tool detects if there are newer videos that match the videos you have uploaded. Once a match has been identified, you are advised to carefully review the content before taking any action against it. The copyright match tool is a great way to weed out videos that infringe on copyright laws.
- Access to Monetisation Features: By becoming a member of the YouTube Partner Program, you will have access to premium features that will help you increase your revenue. You can earn extra income through ads, memberships for your channel, merchandise, stickers and super chats, and YouTube premium revenue.
Joining this program is easy, free, and strongly recommended for content creators who want to maximise their earning potential. Once you confirm your eligibility, you can become a member by following these steps:
- Log into YouTube on your device.
- Click on your profile icon on the top right corner and navigate to “YouTube Studio” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on “Monetisation.”
- Agree to the terms of the YouTube Partner Program. Ensure you carefully read and understand these terms before signing.
- Connect your AdSense account. If you don’t already have one, you can create an AdSense account easily.
- Wait for your application to be reviewed. This usually takes about a month.
Once your application is approved, you have officially become a YouTube partner. However, if your application is rejected, this might be because you do not meet all the requirements. The good news is you can always re-apply once 30 days is up.
Now that you know everything you need to know about the YouTube Partner Program, you can make an informed decision about monetising your channel.
Becoming a partner is a great way to earn more money, which is an opportunity you don’t want to miss if you want to be a full-time content creator on YouTube.
If you’re interested in becoming a YouTube partner but you don’t meet the requirements, don’t be discouraged. You can instead work on creating more content and wait for YouTube to get in touch with you. If you want it bad enough, it will happen.