With over 1.4 billion active users, Instagram is widely known as one of the leading social networking platforms in the world. After creating a new account on Instagram, uploading a new profile picture is the next thing you need to do.
Whether you are a business owner or a social media influencer, you need to upload a unique profile picture that is relevant to your niche and makes it easy for your page to stand out from the crowd. But if you’re new to Instagram, uploading a new profile picture might be a little challenging.
Whether you’re new to Instagram, or your current profile picture is due for a replacement, this article discusses all you need to know about changing your profile picture on this platform.
How to change your Instagram profile picture on an IOS or Android Device
It doesn't matter if you're using an android or iOS device—the process for changing your profile picture is almost the same. You can get started by following the simple steps outlined below.
- Launch the Instagram app on your device.
- Navigate to your profile by clicking the profile icon at the bottom of your screen to the right.
- Click on "Edit Profile."
- Click on "Change Profile Photo."
- You can either upload a picture from your phone’s camera roll or take a new picture.
- Add filters as desired.
- Click on "Done" to upload your new profile picture.
Once this is done, Instagram will automatically start displaying your newly uploaded picture to the public.
How to Change Your Instagram Profile Picture for Windows
Changing your profile picture is also an easy process for Windows. However, there is a slight difference in the steps you should follow.
- Visit the Instagram website on your favourite browser and log in to your account.
- Navigate to your profile by clicking the profile icon at the top of the screen to the right.
- Click on "Upload Photo."
- Select the image you want to upload, and then click "Open."
- Your new profile picture will be automatically uploaded to your profile.
One major difference between changing your profile picture on Windows 10 and on a mobile app is that mobile apps allow you to take a new photo. When you change your profile picture using a Windows 10 browser, on the other hand, you only have the option to choose an image from your gallery.
How to Change Your Instagram Profile Picture to an Avatar
If you want to stand out from the crowd, but you don't want to use a photo of yourself, you can opt to use an avatar instead. An avatar is a persona of yourself which you can edit to your unique preference.
It's similar to Facebook avatars, as well as the Memojis on Apple devices.
To use your avatar as your profile picture on Instagram, follow these easy steps:
- Launch the Instagram app on your device and navigate to your profile.
- Click on "Edit Profile."
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Create Avatar."
- Customize your avatar as desired. You can edit the skin tone, hair colour, face markings, hairstyle, body shape, outfit, and more!
- Click on "Done" to save any edits you have made to your avatar.
- Once your avatar has been updated, click on "Next" to show off your new avatar.
- Return to the "Edit Profile" page, click on "New Profile Photo," and click on "Use Avatar."
- On the next page, you can edit the avatar's pose and background as desired.
- Save all changes, and your avatar automatically becomes your new profile picture!
Please note that you can only create and customize your avatar on the Instagram app. One good thing about avatars is that if your Facebook and Instagram profiles are synced, you can use the same avatar across both platforms.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Change My Profile Picture on Instagram Without Cropping?
Unfortunately, you can't upload a new profile picture without cropping. Instagram does not allow users to upload full-sized images. So, if your preferred picture is full-size, you will need to crop it.
Therefore, if you want to upload a photo of yourself, it is best to use a selfie or a captivating headshot.
Can I Resize My Instagram Profile Picture After Uploading?
Unfortunately, Instagram does not give you the option to resize your profile pictures. This means that if you want to resize your profile picture, you can only do this before uploading it.
To get a perfect display on your profile picture, Instagram recommends that your desired image should be at least 320 x 320 pixels.
Now you know all about changing your profile picture on Instagram. Whether you're using an Android device, an iOS device, or a web browser, you can seamlessly upload a new profile picture in only a few seconds!
If you want your profile to stand out and be easily recognized on Instagram, you should opt for a high-quality selfie or headshot, or a logo of your brand. And if you want to try something new and exciting, you can opt for an avatar instead!