Instagram is a great platform that can be used for either personal or business reasons, but in the everyday reality of Instagram, it is pretty important to know how to hide or disable comments that are full of spam, insults, and just negative behaviour, so that you can avoid having negative experiences, and interacting with people that you don't really want to interact with.
The good news is that Instagram offers a number of features that let you manage your comments a bit more efficiently. In this article, we're going to help you learn how to turn off comments on Instagram, so that you can successfully manage your Instagram comments, and not feel overwhelmed by receiving the ones that you don't want as well as the ones that you want.
How to Turn Off Comments on Instagram
When it comes to the Instagram app itself, you aren't going to be able to disable all comments, which means you won't be able to prevent commenting on all posts.
You will need to do this manually for every post. You can either do it while you're publishing a post, or you can do it for an Instagram post that already exists.
Turning Off Comments While Publishing
Below, we talk about the simple steps that you need to follow if you want to be able to disable comments on a post before you share it with your audience, and your news feed.
1. Open Instagram, and create a new post, edit the content as you would like, and then select ‘next’.
2. Before you select ‘share’, go to advanced settings, that you'll see at the bottom of your screen.
3. In your advanced settings choose ‘turn off comments’, so that it is blue.
4. Once you have successfully turned your comments off, select ‘share’, and you can uploaded your post without enabling comments.
Turning Off Comments for a Post That’s Already Published
If for some reason one of your posts is getting a lot of negative comments, and you would rather not deal with it, then there is the option to disable comments on a post that already exists. We're going to show you how to do this in the steps below.
1. Open the Instagram app and find the post that you want to disable the comments on.
2. Select the three horizontal dots that you'll see at the top of your screen to the right.
3. Choose ‘turn off commenting’, from the menu that will come up on your screen.
Once you have turned off comments on a specific post, you can always go back to this menu, and enable comments again, once you feel confident that you are going to be receiving comments on that post that you feel comfortable with.
How to Block Comments
The great news is that Instagram has a number of different tools that you can use to combat comments and messages that are full of hate. Not many people are aware about them right now.
They offer a keyword filtering system, which can automatically block a comment that contains a keyword on that list. By default, this tool already has a list of words, which you can of course adjust, based on your personal preferences.
Being able to manage your default lists like this enables you to control what people are able to say in comments on your post.
1. Go to your profile on the Instagram app.
2. Select the settings wheel, that’ll be at the top of your screen to the right.
3. Once you've located your privacy settings, choose ‘comments’.
4. Select the slider button, so that you activate the option that says ‘hide offensive comments’.
How to Hide Offensive Comments
While Instagram has introduced features which allow you to filter out certain comments, sometimes, comments are going to get through this, and still be posted to your page.
If this is the case, then of course you will want to be able to hide these comments as soon as possible, and Instagram also has a feature where it is going to automatically delete any comments that come up with that keyword.
The good news is that you can activate this feature quickly.
1. Go to your Instagram profile.
2. Select the settings wheel that you'll see at the top of your screen to the right.
3. Go to your comment settings.
4. Select ‘manual filter’.
5. Add to the custom keyword section, include the words that you want Instagram to use to hide certain comments.
Once these keywords have been activated, Instagram is going to block comments that have included these keywords. You can manage this list whenever you want to, which of course is going to affect the visibility of those comments, so keep this in mind.
How to Turn Off Comments on Instagram Live
Of course, the concept of Instagram live is that it is happening in real time, which means that you are naturally going to experience comments that you might not feel comfortable with.
As a result, you might want to be able to disable comments. If you want to turn the commenting option off while you are live on Instagram, then follow the steps below.
1. Once you have logged into your Instagram profile, select the camera icon that you'll see at the top of your page to the right.
2. At the bottom of this menu, go through the camera options until you see ‘live’.
3. Select the circular capture button, so that you can begin your live broadcast.
4. At the bottom of the screen, select the three vertical dots that you'll see next to the comment section.
5. Select ‘turn off commenting’.
That is everything you need to know when it comes to turning off comments on Instagram.
Sometimes, you've got a valid reason for being able to turn off comments on Instagram, and this can turn can help you feel a lot more confident and comfortable about using the Instagram app in general.